We are pleased to announce the launch of the African Water Resources Mobility Network (AWaRMN) Programme – Second Cohort MSc/MTech call call.
- Internal Submission Deadline: Friday, 16 July, 2021
- Award Cycle: 2022
- Discipline/Subject Area: Water Resources Management
- PLEASE NOTE:: ALL CURRENCY IS IN EUROS AND NOT IN USD (even when the $ symbol appears).
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and outstanding candidates for full-time study in any of the Postgraduate academic mobility scholarship programmes of the AWaRMN under the following Higher Education Institutions in the AWaRMN partnership:
- Rhodes University, South Africa (RU)• M.Sc. Water Resource Science• M.Sc. Hydrology2. Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria (FUTMINNA)• MTech Applied Hydrobiology• MTech Hydrogeology3. Makerere University, Uganda (MU)• M.Sc. Chemistry4. University of Kinshasa, Congo (UNIKIN)
• M.Sc. Water Resources
5. National Higher School for Hydraulics (Ecole Nationale Supéprieure d’Hydraulique) (ENSH)
• M.Sc. Hydraulics
Type of mobility (scholarships)
- Degree-seeking Mobility (long-term study that leads to an award of a MSc/MTech degree).ONLY AVAILABLE AT INSTITUTIONS NUMBER 1-4 (RU, FUTMINAA, MU, UNIKIN) under this call.
- Credit-seeking Mobility (short-term study that leads to award of credits that make up a MSc/MTech degree). ONLY AVAILABLE AT INSTITUTION NUMBER 5 (ENSH)
Group 1: Students who are registered or have previously obtained a degree from any of the AWaRMN partner institutions: RU, UNIKIN, FUTMINNA, MU, ENSH.
Value of Scholarship
For successful applicants, AWaRMN funding will cover the following areas:
- Participation costs (e.g. tuition/registration fees) of students.
- Research costs (e.g. field work, laboratory consumables).
- Subsistence allowance: MSc/MTech: 600 Euro per month.
- Special allowance to female students for mobility equal or more than 2 academic years, viz – MSc/MTech: 600 Euro per year.
- Economy class roundtrip flight ticket and visa costs
- Insurance (Health, accident and travel)
- One-off settling-in allowance upon arrival to cover installation costs, viz – MSc/MTech: 600 Euro.
• be a national of an African Union member state and resident in Africa at the time of application.
• meet both institutional and partnership requirements for admission.
• not have benefited from a previous scholarship under the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme, or Intra-ACP Academic Mobility Scheme.
• must be registered/admitted in or have previously obtained a degree (or equivalent) from any of the AWaRMN partnership institutions: RU, ENSH, UNIKIN, FUTMINA and MU.
• must be prepared to move from home country to another country where AWARM has a partner institution. Scholarships are attached to mobility and therefore you cannot apply to an institution in the country where you are a citizen or where you reside.
Applicants must also fulfill the academic eligibility criteria of the partner institution(s) of their choice:
I. Rhodes University (Institute for Water
Research), South Africa.
MSc Water Resource Science (2 academic years)
Candidates are required to have at least a second class Bachelor Honours degree in the field of natural
sciences especially Biological Sciences (Microbiology, Zoology, Botany, Ecology), Water Resource Science/Management, Chemistry, Environmental Science, or a closely related field. The language of instruction is English. A working knowledge of English Language is required. SAQA NQF Level 8 is required.
MSc Hydrology (2 academic years)
Candidates are required to have at least a second class Bachelor Honours degree in the field of hydrology, physical sciences, geography, geology, environmental science, water engineering, or a closely related field from a recognized institution. The language of instruction is English. A working knowledge of the English Language is required. SAQA NQF Level 8 is required.
II. Federal University of Technology
(Department of Animal Biology; Department
of Geology), Minna, Nigeria (FUTMINNA)
A candidate applying for Postgraduate Studies in the Federal University of Technology, Minna must have obtained five (5) Credits in WAEC (West African Examination Council) and GCE (General Certificate Examination) (Ordinary Level) or their equivalents in their home countries in not more than two sittings.
MTech Applied Hydrobiology (18 Months)
Candidates are required to have at least a second-class Bachelor Honours degree in Zoology, Ecology, Biology, Environmental Science, Fisheries, Water Resource Science/Management, or a closely related field from a recognized institution. The language of instruction is English. A working knowledge of English Language is required.
III. Makerere University (Department of Chemistry), Uganda
Applicants from countries where the language of instruction is not English are required to provide evidence of proficiency in English Language.
MSc Chemistry (2 academic years)
Candidates should be in possession of at least an upper second-class honors degree in Chemistry or a related field from a recognized institution. Candidates with lower qualifications will be considered for admission provided they have demonstrated academic growth in chemistry or in one of the specified options. The language of instruction is English.
IV. University of Kinshasa (Department of Natural Resources Management and the Congo Basin Water Resources Research Centre), DRC (UNIKIN)
MSc Water Resources (2 academic years)
Candidates are required to have at least a second-class Bachelor (BSc) degree in the field of Agricultural Engineering, Geography, Physical Planning, Hydrology, Civil Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences or a closely related field. The language of instruction is French. A working knowledge of French is required.
V. Ecole Nationale Supéprieure d’Hydraulique (ENSH) – National Higher School for Hydraulics
MSc Hydraulics (6 months mobility, credit-seeking)
Applicants must be admitted/registered for a Master’s degree in their home institution in any of the following subjects or another relevant degree: Hydrology, Hydraulics, Water Resources Engineering/Science, Hydrogeology, and Water Quality or a closely related field. Successful candidates will be accepted to prepare their Master’s thesis at our school (for the last six months of the Master’s course). The languages of instruction are French and English. A working knowledge of French or/and English is required.
- Read the guidelines carefully here: https://www.ru.ac.za/intra-africa-awarmn/scholarships/call/
- Carefully complete the application form available here https://www.ru.ac.za/intra¬africa-awarmn/
- Submit: Certified copies of academic degrees official transcripts, 2 paged CV, a formal identity document e.g. passport, national identity card, driver license or any other officially recognized form of identification indicating your nationality, 250 words motivation stating why you should be awarded a scholarship, two reference letters (one academic and one non-academic). The academic referee must be able to attest to your academic standing.
- Note: Due to the COVID-19 situation, at the time of application, we will accept unofficial document detailing all your courses and grades/marks obtained, including final grade point average or marks). However, if you are selected, we will require the official transcript, without which we will be unable to make a final offer to you.
- Due to the COVID-19 and closure of international borders, the partnership may elect not to award scholarship in some partner institutions depending on the prevailing circumstances.
- Click here on this link to apply:https://ru.infoready4.com/CompetitionSpace/#competitionDetail/1844448
- Due to the COVID-19 situation, successful candidates will be expected to resume their study for the 2022 academic session on a rolling basis depending on the institutional circumstances.
- Where the mobility start date is substantially delayed due to COVID-19 travel restrictions to a chosen host institution, the project management committee (PMC) reserves the right to allocate a student to another host University to overcome these delays.Note:
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Female applicants, people with disability(ies) or people from a socio-economically disadvantaged background are strongly encouraged to apply.
The deadline for submission of applications is 15 July 2021. Submitted applications will be acknowledged within 3 working days. Applicants will be informed about the outcome of the competitive selection process by email on or before 21 August 2021.
For administrative enquiries contact AWaRMN secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rhodes University – Prof Nelson Odume: email@example.com
Makerere University – Prof NYAKAIRU George
FUTMINNA – Prof Francis Arimoro:
UNIKIN – Prof Raphael Tshimanga:
ENSH – Prof Mohamed Meddi: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on the link below to view the call and APPLY.
Staff and current students must please login as a Rhodes University User, with their Rhodes username and password.
All other users will need to register (first time log in) and log in as Other Users.